Wednesday 20 March 2013

Lightweight rocks and gravel for green roofs

Loading for green roofs can vary between 50Kg and 200 Kg per square metre.   The lightest at 50Kg per square metre is the sedum roof.   If loading is critical, with Sedum the only option, the green roof could be considered rather plain in appearance.   The landscaping could be greatly improved with the addition of a zen style garden in places using rocks and gravel.   Normally, the gravel itself will be around 75Kg per square metre and adding just small rocks will take that to 100Kg or more.    There is an alternative: the lightweight zen garden!   Using lightweight artificial rocks and boulders and lightweight lava gravel, the loading per square metre can be just 30Kg.   The image below shows a lightweight fake rock (9Kg) surrounded by lava gravel ( 21Kg of 10-15mm gravel at 40mm depth),



Lightweight artificial rock in lightweight gravel (simulated image)


Lightweight lava rock and gravel




1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    roofing contractor Nashville

    ReplyDelete